Skip to content
If Your Dog Has Cancer, This Podcast Can Help
Rare Plasmacytomas in Dogs with Dr. Nancy Reese

Rare Plasmacytomas in Dogs │ Dr. Nancy Reese Q&A


Summary

In this week’s episode of Dog Cancer Answers, Dr. Nancy Reese discusses plasmacytoma tumors. She explains that most vets who find plasmacytoma tumors in their patients, will locate them as solitary, non-aggressive, pink growths on the surface of the skin that can be resolved using surgical removal. These kinds of tumors are called cutaneous plasmacytomas and make up approximately 86% of all plasmacytoma cases. The remaining 14% of these types of growths are classified as non-cutaneous extramedullary plasmacytomas and are found in the cells of the oral cavity (9% of the time), the GI tract (4% of the time), and in the bone marrow (less than 1% – in multiple myeloma). They are also much more aggressive, harder to diagnose, and difficult to treat, which is exactly what Dr. Nancy covers in this week’s episode.


Episode Notes

Links Mentioned in Today’s Show:

The Dog Cancer Survival Guide: Full Spectrum Treatments to Optimize Your Dog’s Life Quality and Longevity by Dr. Demian Dressler and Dr. Susan Ettinger.

https://www.dogcancerblog.com/articles/full-spectrum-cancer-care/dog-cancer-diet/nutrient-dense-foods-dog-cancer-diet/ by: Amber Drake, EdD (ABD), MEd, BSc, C.L.A.S.S. Certified

https://apocaps.com/about-apocaps/

https://dogcancerdiet.com/

https://www.dogcancerblog.com/articles/choosing-treatments/prednisone-for-dog-cancer-2/ by Dr. Demian Dressler

Helpful Resources and Related Links:

To join the private Facebook group for readers of Dr. Dressler’s book “The Dog Cancer Survival Guide” go to  https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogcancersupport/

https://www.dogcancerblog.com/articles/full-spectrum-cancer-care/conventional/chemotherapy/first-dog-cancer-drug-fda-approved-but-not-great/ by Dr. Demian Dressler

Dog Cancer News is a free weekly newsletter that contains useful information designed to help your dog with cancer. To sign up, please visit: www.dogcancernews.com

About Today’s Guest, Dr. Nancy Reese:

Dr. Nancy Reese is a small animal veterinarian with over 30 years of clinical experience taking care of cats and dogs and other critters in the Sierra Nevada foothills. She is also a perpetual student and researcher, as evidenced by her many degrees. In addition to her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from the University of California, Davis, she earned a Masters in Preventive Veterinary Medicine at UC Davis and then a Ph.D. in Epidemiology at UC Davis. If you string all her letters out after her name it looks like this: Nancy Reese, DVM, MPVM, PhD. In her spare time, she volunteers to help evacuate and shelter animals caught up in disasters, and she’s currently training to help in human search and rescue efforts. Dr. Reese lives in a log cabin with her husband, her 13-year-old golden retriever, and her two 13-year-old cats. Her hobbies include boosting the quality of life and longevity for all animals in her care, hiking, travelling, and cross-country skiing. Oh, and lots of dog walking.    degree from the University of California at Davis before earning his Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine from Cornell University.

You can find hundreds of articles Dr. D wrote about dog cancer on his immensely popular website: https://www.dogcancerblog.com/meet-the-veterinarians-dr-dressler/

Dog Cancer Answers is a Maui Media production in association with Dog Podcast Network

This episode is sponsored by the best-selling animal health book The Dog Cancer Survival Guide: Full Spectrum Treatments to Optimize Your Dog’s Life Quality and Longevity by Dr. Demian Dressler and Dr. Susan Ettinger. Available online and in store wherever fine books are sold. And, Dog Cancer News, an editorial production brought to you by Maui Media.

Listen to this podcast episode for a special discount code.

If you would like to ask a dog cancer related question for one of our expert veterinarians to answer on a future Q&A episode, call our Listener Line at 808-868-3200.

Have a guest you think would be great for our show? Contact our producers at DogCancerAnswers.com

Have an inspiring True Tail about your own dog’s cancer journey you think would help other dog lovers? Share your true tail with our producers.

Dog Cancer News is a free weekly newsletter that contains useful information designed to help your dog with cancer. To sign up, please visit: www.dogcancernews.com


Dr. Nancy Reese

DVM, MPVM, Ph.D.

California, USA

More Episodes

Dr. Nancy Reese, DVM, MPVM, Ph.D., is a small animal veterinarian with over 30 years of clinical experience taking care of cats and dogs and other critters in the Sierra Nevada foothills.